The annual PhD course ”Integrating Phenomenology and Qualitative Research Methodologies” from 28 to 31 May 2024 University of Southern Denmark.
”Integrating Phenomenology and Qualitative Research Methodologies”
The annual PhD course, ”Integrating Phenomenology and Qualitative Research Methodologies,” will take place from May 28th to 31st, 2024, at the University of Southern Denmark. This course is intended for PhD students, post-docs, and other academics and researchers who work with phenomenology or intend to incorporate phenomenology into their qualitative research projects, including in the fields of nursing, health care, sport, dance or the arts, among other fields.
The course will be taught by faculty trained in philosophy and/or qualitative research who are experts on the integration of phenomenology and qualitative methods. The course introduces phenomenology in an accessible manner and in a way that provides clear and productive avenues for concrete application. The course sketches central criteria for good qualitative research and explain how one can apply phenomenology in qualitative research as well as how one can apply qualitative research in phenomenological analyses.
The course focuses on methodological questions, practical exercises and possible solutions on how to combine qualitative methodologies with phenomenology – more specifically:
- How to assess which qualitative methods and which phenomenological themes suit the object of the investigation
- How to generate ‘rich’ descriptions for a phenomenological analysis
- How to combine phenomenology and qualitative research in different phases of the study
- How to handle epistemological and ontological questions
- Exercises and group discussions on participants’ projects: how to handle methodological challenges as related to phenomenological analyses in your own project(s)
The course is led by Susanne Ravn, Simon Høffding, and Anthony Vincent Fernandez, with additional guest lectures by Peter Stilwell and Giovanna Colombetti.
Registration is currently open and can be found here: https://www.sdu.dk/en/delt/lightboxpages/sund/phdskolen/fab_pheno