Co-convened between the British Society for Phenomenology and The Department of Philosophy “Piero Martinetti”, State University of Milan (May 2023).
The British Society for Phenomenology International Symposium 2023
Intercorporeality in Artifactual Milieux
The Department of Philosophy “Piero Martinetti”, State University of Milan
Location: State University of Milan, Milan, Italy. In-person and Online.
Date: Monday 29 afternoon – Tuesday 30 May morning 2023.
In Maurice Merleau-Ponty’s essay Le Philosophe et Son Ombre, dedicated to Edmund Husserl, we read that “the other and I are ‘organs of the same intercorporeality’”.
As bodily subjects, we occupy a space that is not neutral or merely physical and not strictly “outside” us. Rather, the interweaving of our selves passes through our bodily involvement with our and others’ sensoriums and with objects, devices, and tools.
These forms of intertwined interactions arise in selves’ lived spaces, as the very co-constitutive material elements of our intercorporeal situatedness. We invite scholars to reflect on the idea that the notion of intersubjectivity emerges from and comes back to intercorporeal experiences of the self in artifactual milieux.
- Anna Ciaunica (Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal)
- Tonino Griffero (University of Rome, Italy)
- Federica Buongiorno (Università degli Studi di Firenze, Italy)
- Kristin Zeiler (Linköping Universitet, Sweden)
- Tanja Staehler (University of Sussex, UK)
- Luna Dolezal (University of Exeter, UK)
- Francesco Tava (University of the West of England, UK)